Tuesday, December 27, 2016

End of the Road

Niantic, CT  2016


It was time.  Today my 2004 Ford Explorer was officially retired to a local junk yard.  I purchased this vehicle in 2004 knowing that I would need a large vehicle to move daughters back from college and between various apartments.  Living in the country when I first moved to Connecticut, I knew there would be many trips to the transfer station with loads of boxes and other household waste.  The all wheel drive proved very beneficial on a few occasions during the winter months. Trips to Ohio, Maine, all of New England, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, Toronto, and one particularly long drive to Halifax, Nova Scotia began to take their toll this year, not to mention the weekly mileage to and from work.  The engine developed some new noises, and a hole was discovered in one of it's eight cylinders. When the "service engine soon" light would not go out I knew it was time to let her go, although on the trip to the junkyard, the engine was running pretty smoothly, as if trying to ask me to change my mind.  She served me well and kept all of us safe for 12 years.   I'll miss her.  




2 comments:

  1. Ed, rather than a trip to the junk yard, consider donating your Explorer to Habitat. The engine can be rebuilt for a few thousand, and this vehicle can go many more useful miles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't owe you anything, Ed.

    ReplyDelete