Friday, November 11, 2011

Hole in the Wall

Hole in the Wall Beach, Niantic, CT

This is the entrance to the Hole in the Wall Beach in Niantic, CT.  The "hole" is actually a tunnel underneath some railroad tracks.   The tracks are heavily travelled by Amtrak and the Shore Line East commuter line. I've always enjoyed the view through the hole, looking out on Long Island Sound, but have had a hard time capturing the image with my DSLR due to the dynamic range of the picture.  If I expose for the water and sky, the tunnel is too dark.  Exposing  for the tunnel will blow out the water and sky.  I know there are some ways around this, involving multiple pictures at different exposures and some software post processing with a good image editor.  Although I'm not quite satisfied with this result, it's the best I've been able to manage to date.  This image is from a single exposure on a JPEG straight out of the camera with some image adjustments done in Aperture.  

No comments:

Post a Comment