Thursday, March 28, 2013

McCook Marker and Reference Mark


McCook Point Park, Niantic, CT

There is a sense of permanence to anything attached to bedrock, at least on a human time scale.  These markers were found close to one another at McCook Point Park.  The first remembers John James McCook who was a rector of St John's Episcopal Church in East Hartford back in 1869.  He would spend summers here and purchased the land back in the late 1800's.  Today the land is owned by the city of East Lyme and is maintained as a park.

The second marker is a reference mark used in obtaining precise measurements for land surveying.  From what I was able to quickly learn by a search of the web, this reference mark is pointing to a main base station or triangulation station.  The next time I'm visiting the park, I'll have to see if I can find the base station marker.  I'm sure both markers will be here for many, many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment