Tuesday, October 1, 2013

New London Ledge Light

New London, CT

The New London Ledge Light sits atop a 200 foot shoal at the mouth of the Thames River in New London.  It was one of the last lighthouses built in New England having been built in 1906.  I've tried on a number of occasions to get a good picture of Ledge Light, but not from a ferry boat.  I was hoping the ferry would be able to get a little closer.  It is said that a former lighthouse keeper leapt to his death upon hearing the news that his wife ran off with a ferry boat captain and still haunts the lighthouse today.  

4 comments:

  1. Think you have shot a most successful image of this lighthouse with a checkered past. Looks like a lonely place, even for a ghost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff. I haven't been quiet satisfied yet with an image of this lighthouse. I've tried using a 70-300mm Nikkor lens from the nearby shores, and now this one using my 16-85 Nikkor from the ferry. I just haven't gotten quite close enough yet with either. I didn't have my 70-300 on the ferry, which probably would've been fine. Isn't that always the case?

      Delete
    2. The distance from the lighthouse gives it a sense of vast space surrounding it. Too close to the place just provides unnecessary detail. Who cares about the tuck pointing on the brick wall?

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous lighthouse, gorgeous shot, and brilliant story! Yeah, it looks like the kind of place that might be haunted...

    ReplyDelete