New London, CT
Currently a restaurant/saloon, the Bulkeley House was built in 1790 by Capt. Charles Bulkeley, who was a privateer and an officer in the Navy during the Revolutionary War, sailing with John Paul Jones. The original building on this property was destroyed when the city of New London was burned by Benedict Arnold in 1781. Capt. Bulkeley died in 1848 and the property was purchased by Charles Klink who converted the building into a meat market and ice house. New London Landmark preservationists saved the house from demolition in 1976 and during the '80's, the house was restored.