Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Westerly Train Station


Westerly, RI

The train station in Westerly, RI is rather unique.  The architecture is reminiscent of what one might see in the southwest part of the country and not in New England.  At least that's how it appears to me.  According to the building's pediment, it was built in 1912 by the New York-New Haven & Hartford Railroad (NY-NH&H-RR) one of many railroads that serviced this part of the country in the early 20th Century.  Today it one of the stops on Amtrak's Northeast Corridor.  

4 comments:

  1. Fine looking building. These stations were the beginning and ending of adventures of rail travel. Too bad those days are now mostly history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still enjoy riding trains, so I'm glad they haven't totally been lost to history.

      Delete
  2. Is there something missing from inside that ring, or has it always been blank?
    I like how the old railroads named their trains and stations after the destinations. makes things so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fine old classical architecture. I take AmTrak occasionally. Passenger train service struggles financially these days. I hope it persists as long as I do.

    ReplyDelete