Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

North Stonington, CT

I came across this family cemetery while walking through the woods near my home in North Stonington, CT a number of years ago.  The cemetery was over grown with brush, and as you can see covered with leaves from the previous autumn.  I found it interesting that although this plot was far removed from any main roads, fairly deep in the forest, and somewhat neglected,  someone remembered to decorate this particular grave with a flag.  Only parts of the inscription can be read, but from what I can make out, this soldier/veteran died on January 29, 1761, which pre-dates the American Revolution. His name was William. I can't make out his last name. It's the oldest grave of a veteran I've found, although I'm sure there are some older around these parts.  I thought it was appropriate to post this today so that we never forget all those who fought and died for our country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment