Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Sunflowers for Wishes


I'm a little late posting these pictures and for some of you they might look a little familiar.  Fellow Connecticut Blogger, Jack, who publishes the very fine blog Naples and Hartford in Season published photos from Buttonwood Farms and their Sunflowers for Wishes sales the very day I visited.  I guess great minds think alike.  We've been going to Buttonwood Farms for years, ever since I first moved to Connecticut in 2003.  For two weeks in July, the sunflowers are in bloom and they are sold to the public with all proceeds going to the Make a Wish Foundation.  It truly is an impressive sight to see acres of sunflowers in bloom.


There was a big crowd there when I visited and the lines were very long for taking hay rides through the sunflower fields, and for ice cream.  Buttonwood Farms makes their own ice cream and people come from far and wide, even as far away as Hartford for the ice cream.  There were walking paths through the fields which allowed for up close and personal sunflower pictures.


One thing I noticed as I walked around this field.... no matter what side of the field I was on, the sunflowers always seemed to be facing away from me.  You might see it in some of the photos above.  All the sunflowers were facing to the center of the field.  I thought they always faced the same direction.  

Griswold, CT  2015


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful field! I just love sunflowers. That is wonderful that the owners support the Make a Wish foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were you drinking, Ed? The flowers always face the sun, not the center of the field. Buttonwood Farm is a great place. The lines were even so long that I decided to skip the ice cream (though I did buy three bouquets to support Make a Wish).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought they faced the sun as well. It was mid-afternoon, about 3:00PM, so the sun was more overhead. All I know is that I stood on one side of the field looking west, and the flowers were turned away from me. I walked to the other side of the field expecting all the flowers to be facing me, and they still were turned away. Well maybe not all of them, but most of them. I wasn't drinking! ;) I also bought a bouquet.

      Delete