Friday, March 30, 2012

Scenic Overlook

Mystic, CT

If I stopped at every scenic overlook I pass in my travels to take pictures, I would probably never get anywhere.  I've stopped at this particular scenic overlook a number of times trying to capture an image that would do the scene justice.  I don't think I've succeeded yet.  The view is of the Mystic River.  To the left of the image is Mystic Seaport, The Museum of America and the Sea, one of my favorite places to visit.  Somewhere in the hills to the right is the site of the first massacre of Native Americans by European settlers  in 1637, during the Pequot Wars.  This event was featured in the History Channel miniseries, "10 Days that Unexpectedly Changed America".  I find it very interesting that such a historic site has no historical marker other than the plaque located at this scenic overlook, at least as far as I know.  I haven't been to find the exact location of Fort Mystic, the site of the massacre, which might now be a part of someone's private property.  Considering the significance of this event, I would think there would be some sort of historical marker, marking the site.


No comments:

Post a Comment