Thursday, March 29, 2012

Talcott Brother's Mill

Vernon, CT

I've often wondered what some of these old buildings must have looked like in their heyday.  At first I was not sure what kind of business went on here, but I assumed it was some sort of mill, since there are so many abandoned mills here in Connecticut.  My curiosity led me to do some searching on the web, and I've found that this is the Talcott Brothers Mill, which was built in the 1870's and was one of a number of mills built along the Tankerhoosen River. The mill was operated by the Talcott family until 1940.  More about the history of this area can be found here.  Additional pictures can be seen here and here.  It's amazing what one can find these days on the web with just a few clicks of the mouse.

1 comment:

  1. This looks like a fantastic photo site, and it looks like you caught the buildings in lovely morning light. Would you share the address to my email (erothii@gmail.com)? You may be interested in more photos of old mill buildings on my blog site, http://rothphotos.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete