Friday, September 7, 2012

Stone Bridge

Devil's Hopyard State Park
East Haddam, CT

Not far from Chapman Falls, pictured here earlier this week, is this stone bridge.  I'm amazed at the amount of work that must have gone into building this. I've seen lots of stone walls throughout this part of Connecticut, but this is one of the most impressive examples I've seen of stone work. The bridge was built to carry a local road over a gully or intermittent stream. I thought that there was a hiking trail that went through the tunnel and emerged on the other side, however as I walked beneath the bridge, what little trail there was quickly gave way to mud and wetlands.       

4 comments:

  1. The bridge looks like it could have been a CCC project from the 1930s. They often worked in stone, especially in parks. That government program to employ young men built much of the infrastructure of our national and state park system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you're right. It does look like CCC project. I know of other depression era relief agencies which were involved in construction projects in Connecticut State Parks, and have posted a picture of one such project:

      http://elfritze.blogspot.com/2012/05/ellie-mitchell-pavilion.html.

      Thanks for looking.

      Delete
  2. This is a beauty, Ed, and your photo does it justice. The recent photos from Chapman Falls are also great. Very sharp. Are you using a tripod?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jack. I appreciate your kind words. All the pictures taken at Devil's Hopyard were hand held using a Nikon D90 and a AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G lens. I decided I needed to spend some time using only this lens, just to learn more about it, since I don't usually take too many wide angle pictures. I'm still trying to decide if I really like this particular focal length or not for my photography. I'm glad you liked.

      Delete