Saturday, August 17, 2013

Atop Montauk Point Light


Montauk, NY

While visiting the Montauk Point Lighthouse, I took the opportunity to climb to the top of the lighthouse.  It is not a climb for the faint of heart.  One has to climb a rather narrow spiral stair case within the lighthouse.  There is a rope railing along the wall along the outside of the spiral stairs, but we were told that those coming down the stairs had the right of way, so those of us climbing had to let go of the rope and move to the center of the stairs to allow those descending to proceed.  Not only are the steps themselves narrow towards the center, but there is no railing. It was a rather harrowing experience to say the least.  About half way up, I was having second thoughts about going all the way up, but I continued on.  Once I reached the uppermost level, I was treated to these great views.  One could step outside the lighthouse on a narrow balcony and feel the cool ocean breezes and admire the views.  It was well worth the climb. 

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you got the lighthouse bug :)

    Some really nice shots and a good story too.

    Buck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for looking, Buckshot. I've always liked lighthouses. There's certainly no shortage of them around New England. I'll be busy for quite sometime finding them and photographing them.

      Delete
  2. Looking at your last posts I am reminded of Max Frisch's novel Montauk http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montauk_(novel). I have always been a huge Max Frisch fan.
    Who would have known in the 80's when I read the novel that someday I would look at your photos. The views are wonderful (esp. the first photo) - your story about the stairs, not so ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certainly not as well-read as you. I needed to look up the novel with the link you provided. From what I've read, I can see him spending a weekend on Montauk.

      Delete