Thursday, January 19, 2012

Machinery III


I originally posted a picture of this machine here.  This is a close-up shot of that particular piece of machinery.  I can't really take a lot of credit for the post processing I did for this image.  My skills in post processing consists of trying a number of "presets" that are available in the Apple's Aperture, until I find one that I like.  I think a true "artist" would never use some preset, but until my creativity grows, I'll use the presets, and even add to my collection of presets.  I was inspired to do this by a post in the blog Taken for Granted, which I follow.  The images featured some nice black and white conversions of machinery.

3 comments:

  1. Ed, that appears to be an industrial steam engine used to power other machines or pumps in the factory. Your sepia toned photo works well. Thanks for mentioning my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take back my comment about it being a steam engine. That is a Goulds industrial pump manufactured in Seneca Falls, NY. To learn of the history of the company and see a video: http://www.gouldspumps.com/download_files/history/history_movie.stm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed that you know so much about this piece of equipment. You must have an engineering background. Thanks for the link. It's good to know the company still exists and now is a part of the biggest pump company in the world. Although good photographs should stand on their own, knowing a little history of the subject does give the image some context, and makes the image that much more interesting. Thanks for looking and for the history lesson.

      Delete