Saturday, December 28, 2013

Norwich City Hall

Norwich, CT

The city of Norwich was once considered to be the "rose of New England" and even today it is referred to as "The Rose City".   The city hall is probably the prettiest city hall I have seen.  It looks very impressive sitting atop a hill overlooking the downtown area of the city. The "town hall" was built in 1870 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.  The small arch in front contains the first bell cast to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation.  It is said that bells all throughout Norwich rang for a full hour when the Emancipation Proclamation was signed by Abraham Lincoln.













3 comments:

  1. Love the light on this post... and the elegant building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that we both had shots of government buildings on today's post. Your building is better looking, I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous photo of the city hall. I was in Norwich in the summer and also took photos of city hall, but I don't think I posted them. I ran into a fascinating man from the city's development office and spent some time talking with him about the recovery of Norwich. I took a nice photo of him, but while going through the photos from that day, I was too quick and deleted the one of him. Don't you just hate it when that happens?

    ReplyDelete