Saturday, December 21, 2013

This Old House

I have driven by this house many times and finally decided I should stop and photograph it, for I'm not sure how much longer it will be here.  It's located on a busy Connecticut route surrounded by many much more affluent properties.  It looks out of place.  Recently I noticed a realtor's sign posted out front, so the property is for sale.  I'm not sure anyone would be interested in the house since it is such dis-repair.


I'm reminded of the song "This Old House", written by Stuart Hamblen in 1954 and recorded by such artists as Rosemary Clooney,  Willie Nelson, The Statler Brothers and most recently by Bette Midler, amongst other recording artists.   The lyrics seem appropriate for this house.

This ole house once knew his children
This ole house once knew his wife
This ole house was home and comfort
As they fought the storms of life
This old house once rang with laughter
This old house heard many shouts
Now he trembles in the darkness
When the lightnin' walks about
Words and Music by Stuart Hamblen,
Copyright © 1954 Hamblen Music Co.

East Lyme, CT



1 comment:

  1. Your poem really suits this poor old house. A "For Sale" sign? That tells me that this house is going to be demolished very soon. It is probably not worth trying to save.

    ReplyDelete