Monday, August 25, 2014

Block Island Express

New London, CT

Have a I ever mentioned how much I enjoy riding the ferries?  I find it a very relaxing way to travel, and if you need to get to eastern Long Island from this part of Connecticut, taking the ferry from New London to Orient Point, Long Island is the best way to go.  It certainly beats driving around Long Island Sound and through New York City.  The ferry also provides some unique views of the harbor and the city of New London.  This futuristic, sleek looking craft is the high speed ferry which goes from New London to Block Island.  It only takes passengers,  no autos,  and makes the trip to Block Island in just about an hour.   The photo was taken while I awaited departure aboard the Cape Henlopen, a converted World War II landing vessel (LST 510), which participated in the D-Day invasion.  It makes the trip to Orient Point in a very leisurely 1 hour and 30 minutes.  

2 comments:

  1. I've never lived anywhere that I could commute by ferry boat, but I always enjoy using them when I travel. This one looks fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is quite a vessel. I haven't taken one of those ferries in years. They have become faster and sleeker.

    Thanks for your evaluations this morning.

    ReplyDelete