Saturday, December 20, 2014

Starr St

New London, CT  2014

In 1804 this narrow street was the site of a 500 foot long rope walk, which provided rope for the ships which frequented New London  Harbor.  After a fire destroyed the rope walk, the narrow piece of land was sold to a real estate developer and a number of homes were built along the street line.  It was middle class neighborhood in the mid-1800's providing homes to ministers, merchants, artists and ship riggers.  Some of the homes also served as boarding houses.  By the 1970's, the properties had fallen into dis-repair and were scheduled to be torn down.  The Savings Bank of New London bought most of the properties and began to restore the exteriors and bring them all up to modern codes.  The street became the first Historic District in New London.


  1. That is a great story of urban rehab. Glad the bank extended itself to create an historic district.

  2. It would have been terrible to tear down this very attractive row of old houses!